An adequate auto insurance policy valid in Mexico will include all-important third party liability, and it should also provide practical assistance services that support you in stressful situations—which car accidents tend to be. This article provides practical advice to help you prepare for your road trip coverage.
Auto insurance coverage valid in Mexico
Some auto insurance policies might contain wording that leads you to believe that you are covered in Mexico, but this out-of-country cover, if any is included, is limited to damage to your own vehicle and certain things you may be carrying inside your car.
The most important aspect of an auto insurance policy when you’re driving in Mexico is third-party liability, because claims for damages by third parties can be substantial.
Third party liability abroad needs a special policy
By law, US and Canadian insurers can’t provide third party liability and this coverage must be underwritten by a Mexican insurance company and be specially formed to be legally valid under Mexican law.
Third party liability covers any losses your actions might cause to others. These most commonly include (but are not limited to):
- damage to another person’s vehicle, or their property;
- injuries to another person in an accident; and
- damage to public property (e.g. road structures).
To cover you for these events, you need a special type of insurance policy that will cover your financial responsibilities.
How much liability insurance is needed in Mexico?
While no one expects to be involved in an accident —and far less a serious one— when arranging coverage, it’s worth considering the worst-case scenario: that you accidentally cause serious injury or death of another person as a result of a vehicle accident.
Here in Mexico you can be made financially responsible to the other party (or their kin) if you unintentionally cause the death of another motorist, and reputable insurance brokers suggest that you have no less than US$300,000 in liability insurance and they will usually recommend US$500,000.
Get a policy covers more than just accidents
There are other factors besides financial liability to consider when you are arranging your auto insurance when you drive in Mexico. The three most important aspects to consider when choosing a policy are:
If you’re involved in a serious road accident in Mexico, it’s common for those involved to be detained until the situation is assessed, fault is determined, and financial responsibility is assigned.
Due to this process, the legal representation which better policies offer will provide you with:
- local assistance to help you deal with the complex paperwork and procedures (in Spanish, and liaise with you in English);
- a fund to post a bail-bond and get you released as soon as practicable; and
- a legal team to negotiate on your behalf if fault and responsibility is assigned to you.
If you or any of your vehicle’s occupants are injured in an accident, medical payments might or might not be covered. Medical coverage on auto policies vary and you’ll need to compare the choices to ensure you have an adequate amount of coverage, per person and in total.
Assistance for accidents and vehicle breakdowns
When an accident happens, what really matters is the practical support provided by an insurance policy.
If your vehicle breaks-down, or in the event of a minor accident which leaves your car damaged but readily repairable, a roadside travel assistance plan offered by the insurer can be an enormous benefit to you.
Roadside assistance can be purchased as part of an auto insurance policy and offers very practical help in what can be stressful and confusing circumstances.
- In the event of a breakdown or minor accident which leaves you stuck, help with things like gas delivery, a flat tire, a locksmith, or a tow truck to a nearby garage for essential repairs can be a phone call away.
- In the event of an accident, assistance can provide practical support and liaison with key personnel to help you recover more quickly and get back on your road trip as soon as practicable.
Mexperience is pleased to refer our readers to MexPro auto insurance, which offers comprehensive coverages valid in Mexico using English-language policies backed by a fully-licensed US insurance broker. Their insurances cover third party liability, provide legal assistance, and you can opt for medical and roadside assistance to be included.
Get a quote now: In just a few minutes, you can get a quote, review your policy details, and arrange auto insurance for your road trip in MexicoQuote for Auto Insurance
Learn more about driving in Mexico
Mexperience offers guides and articles to help you prepare and drive confidently in Mexico
- Latest articles about driving in Mexico
- Your Mexico road trip checklist
- Dealing with minor and major road accidents
- Guide to driving in Mexico
- Guide to auto insurance in Mexico
- Get a quote for Mexico auto insurance
Mexico in your inbox
Our free newsletter about Mexico brings you a monthly round-up of recently published stories and opportunities, as well as gems from our archives.